Essential oils have been used for a variety of purposes, and helping people to sleep better is one of the benefits gained from some essential oils. From reducing stress levels, to regulating sleep patterns and easing troubled minds, essential oils are great for anyone willing to give them a try.
Several essential oils are infamous for their ability to aid sleep. In this article, you’ll learn how to use them to promote sleep, and some popular essential oils that possess this quality.
CAN ESSENTIAL OILS HELP YOU SLEEP?
Definitely, essential oils are magnificent solutions to sleeping problems. Some essential oils contain chemicals that help the body and mind relax, which will eventually help the user sleep better and rest well. This is achieved through the process of aromatherapy and other methods.
HOW DO YOU USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR BETTER SLEEP
Here are a few ways to use essential oils to enhance good sleep:
Taking baths has been known to aid sleep. The body is relaxed and anxiety is eased. You can even make this better by adding essential oil mixtures into your bathwater. Essential oils like chamomile and lavender can be combined into your bathwater to take that regular bath just a step up.
Ultrasonic diffusers use millions of vibrations each second to break down essential oils and dissipate them into the air as mist. Using a diffuser is advisable for people who can’t apply essential oils directly to their skin because of allergies, such as rashes or burns.
Moreover, diffusers which can help distribute the essential oil fragrances are often long-lasting. When these scents are inhaled, you become relaxed and calmer as they ease you into sleep. This is also known as aromatherapy.
Just be careful to make sure yo put the right amount of essential oils into your diffuser as you will find that adding too much essential oils can lead to side effects such as nausea.
Spraying essential oils in your sleep area is also an effective way to enhance sleep. Although this is also part of aromatherapy, it has its own requirements.
The tools you will need are;
- Distilled water
- A spray bottle
- One to three ounces of vodka depending on the bottle’s size
- 10 drops of chamomile oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 10 drops of any other essential oil like jasmine extracts.
However, note that essential oils that promote good sleep other than these can also be combined in this recipe.
Steps for Making essential oil sleep Sprays
Follow the below steps to make your own essential oil sleep spray.
- Clean the bottle that will be used thoroughly. You can use an alcohol-based solution.
- Put the vodka in the bottle. The measurements will be based on the size of the bottle.
- Add ten drops of lavender oil.
- Add another ten drops of chamomile oil.
- Now add your third choice of essential oil. This must also be in ten drops
- Add your distilled water with enough space to effectively stir the mixture.
- Now spray gently in the areas you want; your pillows and your bed sheet so that the fragrance can help you sleep better.
APPLY DIRECTLY TO YOUR SKIN
You can put essential oils directly on your skin. This is also called the topical application method. This method requires two types of oils; one essential oil and one carrier oil. Equal drops of these oils should be mixed together.
A perfect example can be lavender and coconut oil. They can be used for body massage or mixed with other skin products like your body cream. The body alongside inhaling the fragrances also absorbs the essential oils through the skin.
Take caution though, if you have a history of skin allergies it is best to stick to other methods. If you want to know if your body will react negatively to essential oils rub a sizable amount on the inside of your arm. If after twenty-four hours nothing unusual happens, you can use them or consult your doctor for advice.
Facial steaming is a great method to improve sleep and it is a quick solution for nasal congestion. All you have to do is boil water till it heats and add a few drops of your desired essential oil into the water. Remove the water from the heating appliance at first, sit over the pot and cover yourself with a towel for at least ten to fifteen minutes.
Reed diffusers are easy to maintain and are effective dispersers. They are designed to soak up the essential oils and diffuse them into the air. When the body inhales these scents, cortisol levels that are released when stressed, drops, and other chemical changes take place in the body to aid good sleep. The reed diffusers can be used with essential oils to create a calm and eased atmosphere.
Learn more about how reed diffusers work with this helpful guide.
10 OF THE BEST SLEEP-INDUCING ESSENTIAL OILS
Here’s an overview of 10 essential oils that are tried and tested for giving you a better nights sleep. Why not work your way through the list and see which works best for you.
- Clary Sage: Clary sage oil is a known inhibitor of cortisol level which is the stress hormone. For those suffering from depression, it acts as a natural sedative that helps to ease troubled minds.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil is proven from studies to reduce anxiety. Inhaling lavender oil can help deal with insomnia.
- Valerian: Valerian oil has a calming effect. Its flowers can be brewed into tea as well. It reduces anxiety and fosters longer sleep.
- Chamomile: An ideal combatant for anxiety, its effects are more general than specific. It reduces stress, relaxes the mind, and works as a sedative.
- Peppermint: This oil helps to clear nasal congestion and reduces snoring. It is useful for those sensitive to dust and people with nasal or respiratory allergies. Be wary of using peppermint essential oils around dogs as it is highly toxic to them.
- Bergamot Oil: For good sleep and stress relief, this essential oil is useful. It even minimizes stressful thinking that makes sleeping difficult.
- Sandalwood: Although known to be quite costly, it is efficient and fast acting. Apart from reducing anxiety and helping to induce sleep, it also evens out mood swings.
- Marjoram Oil: It is a strong sedative. You’ll get good sleep for a lengthy period.
- Cedarwood: Inhaling cedarwood can release serotonin hormones which helps in sedating and good sleep.
- Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil has been rudimentary when it comes to clearing sinuses, they break up mucus, and phlegm and help manage cold.
Essential oils are very effective in improving sleep, relaxing tensions, and improving sleep patterns. There are various essential oils that when mixed with carrier oils will help you sleep better. They can be used in various ways and will help you ease the day-long accumulated stress.
- Can You Put Perfume In A Humidifier? (Read First) - September 17, 2022
- Can You Put Essential Oil In A Steam Mop? (Safety Advice) - September 17, 2022
- How To Make Lavender Oil At Home ( Candles And Diffusers) - September 9, 2022