Are Scentsy Wax Melts Toxic or Safe?

Scentsy wax melts will fill your home with a delicious fragrance. 

They are popular because they are long-lasting and flameless. As a result, many people prefer them to standard candles. Wax melts are more economical and you can use multiple at once. 

However, are Scentsy wax melts toxic or safe? 

If you use them properly, they shouldn’t produce any adverse effects. But it’s important to exercise common sense and to consider the ways they could negatively impact children and animals. 

Let’s look at Scentsy wax melts in more detail now and consider how best to use them. 

Are Scentsy Wax Melts Safe? 

Scentsy fans will be delighted to learn that Scentsy wax melts are completely safe to use and present no clear dangers if used as specified on the instructions.

Let’s now take a deeper look into Scentsy wax melts and theor safety.

They don’t contain toxic ingredients like phthalates or release them into the air. Phthalates are chemicals found in many products like soaps, shampoos, detergents, and food packaging. They may damage the lungs, reproductive system, and kidneys. 

Another positive is that they don’t contain harmful Volatile Organic Compounds. 

We breathe in VOCs every time we smell flowers or cook different items because they provide the scent. However, some VOCs like formaldehyde are poisonous.

Thankfully, you don’t have to worry about Scentsy Wax Melts!

Finally, Scentsy emphasizes its safe ingredients list. They comply with EPA regulations so that everything they use is risk-free. They use a combination of natural and synthetic ingredients. 

Their bars are comprised of a paraffin wax-blend. Scentsy believes that soy or vegetable-based waxes don’t produce quality wickless candles. Many people prefer all-natural ingredients but these aren’t always safe either.

Don’t Ingest Scentsy Products

Common sense should tell you that eating wax melts is not a good idea. 

Unfortunately, babies, children, and animals aren’t exactly fountains of rational thought. So you should be extra careful with these products around them. 

The safest thing to do is to keep them out of the reach of your kids and supervise them when you are using your wax melts. They’re brightly colored and smell delicious so, unsurprisingly, a child might be tempted to take a bite. 

Usually, they’ll just grimace and spit it out. That’s a lesson they won’t forget in a hurry!

But if they swallow it, you should keep a close eye on your child. Scentsy says that adverse effects are rare but to seek medical attention if they display any worrying symptoms. 

If you have any doubt, you should seek medical attention immediately. It may seem like an overreaction but it’s better for your peace of mind. 

Wax Melts vs. Candles

Wax melts are a lot safer to use than candles because they don’t require a naked flame. This is important for two reasons.

Firstly, they are less of a fire or burning hazard. 

Anybody with small children or cats will appreciate how easily they can knock something over. So this will be a relief. 

The other good news is that they are also less toxic. 

Burning candles release fumes into the air. Paraffin wax, like Scentsy uses for their melts, is a notorious pollutant. Prolonged exposure can produce multiple side effects and exacerbate health conditions. 

Some scented candles contain dozens of dangerous chemicals. These can cause asthma attacks and other respiratory issues. They also release carcinogens into the air in the form of black soot. 

Luckily, wax melts avoid this serious problem. 

As they don’t dissolve, the melts don’t release soot into the air. This means that they are safe for animals and children to be around.

If you would like to read more about what wax melts are and how to use them check out my guide.

Wax Melts vs. Essential Oils

Essential oil diffusers are very popular because they release fragrant scents with healing properties. As they appear to have more benefits, oils are growing in popularity compared to wax melts. 

However, they also carry more risks, especially for animals. 

Cats and dogs have highly sensitive bodies. They may suffer severe illnesses if they experience prolonged exposure to some essential oils. Wax melts don’t have this risk at all. 

If your pet pooch doesn’t like a Scentsy wax melt, it will just wrinkle its nose and walk away. On the other hand, essential oils can cause skin conditions as well as other serious conditions that may require veterinary attention. 

Scentsy wax melts are not toxic for dogs and cats to breathe so you can relax knowing that your pets will stay safe. 

For more information on essential oils and fragrance oils and their safety check out this guide.

Eating Wax Melts

The only time a Scentsy wax melt could present a health risk to an animal is if they eat it. Bear in mind that they are not designed for consumption so this really shouldn’t be an issue. 

Of course, puppies are especially notorious for their curiosity.

Everybody has heard horror stories of people going out for a few hours before coming home to find their favorite cushion has been chewed apart. There is always a chance that they may munch on a wax melt. 

Usually, they’ll realize quickly that wax doesn’t taste nice. 

If they do swallow it, it will probably be a small amount. This shouldn’t be a major concern. However, keep an eye on them for the rest of the day. Unless they show signs of unusual behavior, you probably don’t need to worry. 

But if there are sustained periods of vomiting or any concerning symptoms, bring them to your local vet for a quick check. 

It’s better to be safe than sorry!

Only Use Scentsy Products As Directed

If you follow the instructions you really can’t go wrong. 

Freak incidents do occur but these are extremely rare. Scentsy products typically come with informational advice about safety requirements. As long as you’re a responsible parent or pet owner everything should be fine. 

Most of the time this just means using common sense. Never ingest their wax melts. Similarly, you wouldn’t use one of their room sprays as a body scent.

Amazingly some people still take unnecessary risks so don’t be one of them!

Safe Alternatives to Wax Melts

If you still think that wax melts are too much of a risk there are a couple of viable alternatives. Let’s look at these now. 


This is an all-natural way to produce a pleasant scent for your chosen room. There are many DIY guides on the internet to create potpourri so take a look. 

In short, they use herbs, spices, dried fruit, and other natural aromatic items to create delightful fragrances. You could even use the experience as a way to bond with your children. 

Simmer Spices

Another simple way to fill your room with a delicious scent is to simmer spices. 

Put a small pot on the stove with water and add your spices of choice. You could use cinnamon sticks and nutmeg for a seasonal feel. Or perhaps you’d prefer something like masala chai or citrus peels. 

The possibilities are endless!

Final Thoughts

Scentsy wax melts are generally safe. 

They do contain some toxic properties because they’re made from paraffin wax. But this shouldn’t be an issue unless a child or an animal eats them. Try to be sensible and keep wax melts out of their reach when possible. 

Otherwise, their scent won’t cause any issues because they don’t release black soot. 

This makes Scentsy wax melts a much safer option than scented candles or even some essential oils. 

Andrew Scents and Aroma